Thursday, September 9, 2010

Diane Hacker Site On-Blog quiz

       The "Diane Hacker Site" was very useful on correct ways to use grammar. It gave numerous problems for you to try so that you could learn everything that has to do with grammar. The site also explains why you got the problem right or wrong. Something I learned on the "Diane Hacker Site" was the correct way to use commas. One of the examples was two sentences, and you had to decide where the comma should be correctly placed. Sentence one: "When I saw the look on my fathers face, I wanted to turn around, and beg the sheriff to let me spend the night in jail." Sentence two: "When I saw the look on my father's face, I wanted to turn around and beg the Sheriff to let me spend the night in jail." The second sentence is the correct placing for the comma because the word "and" doesn't join independent clauses, therefore not needing a comma.

      Another thing I learned from the "Diane Hacker Site" was whether to use who or whom in sentences. One example is "Who/Whom was Martin Luther King's mentor?" The correct answer is who in this sentence. Something else I learned on this site was the correct way to use capital letters in sentences. Sentence one: "My sister-in-law is an attorney." Sentence two: "My sister-in-law is an Attorney." The first sentence is correct because it is a common noun.


http://bcs.bedfordstmartins.com/bedhandbook7enew/Player/Pages/Frameset.aspx -9/9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment